Individuals with excess, sagging skin around the upper arm area can benefit from an arm lift procedure performed by Dr. Madhukar G. Chhatre. This treatment, offered at our Kansas City, MO-area plastic surgery practice, helps patients achieve a more toned, sleeker overall appearance. Like all surgical procedures, it is helpful for patients to know what to anticipate before, during, and after treatment, including arm lift recovery. Patients can expect some discomfort and soreness for the first couple days after arm lift surgery, with bruising and swelling typically subsiding after about two weeks.request an appointment
The First Day Of Recovery
At Summit Plastic Surgery & Med Spa, your arm lift procedure will be performed on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia. Immediately following the procedure, you will feel tired and groggy. For this reason, you must have a friend or family member drive you home from your appointment. Patients should go directly home and relax for the remainder of the day. Following your treatment, you will be provided with a complete list of post-operative instructions. These should be followed closely for a comfortable and successful recovery.
Caring for yourself during the healing period can reduce the risk of complications and help you enjoy a successful recovery.
Side Effects Following Arm Lift Surgery
After any type of surgery, patients can expect some mild side effects, particularly during the first 48 hours. These often include:
- Discomfort: Some degree of tenderness and soreness is to be expected after arm lift surgery. These symptoms should begin to fade after the first couple of days. Discomfort can be managed with prescription pain medication or over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Inflammation and bruising: Slight swelling and discoloration is normal following arm lift surgery. While inflammation should subside in about two weeks, bruising may linger for at least one month. To reduce these side effects, apply cold compresses to the surgical site.
- Sensitivity or numbness: Any time incisions are made, tingling sensations or numbness can develop. These side effects are usually short-lived and will fade gradually on their own.
The First Few Weeks
During the first two weeks of recovery, it is important to find a proper balance between rest and activity. While strenuous exercise should be completely avoided, it is beneficial to walk around every few hours to reduce the risk of blood clots.
Many patients feel a vast improvement as early as 10 days after arm lift surgery, while some may need two to three weeks. You can return to work and normal activities as you are able, under Dr. Chhatre’s supervision.
Generally, it takes about six weeks for full recovery to take place. Initial results are typically noticed by this point, as bruising and swelling diminish. To ensure a long-lasting outcome, patients should maintain a healthy lifestyle, including a regular exercise regimen and a well-balanced diet.
Recommendations For A Successful Recovery
Caring for yourself during the healing period can reduce the risk of complications and help you enjoy a successful recovery. Patients can achieve this by following a few general recommendations:
- Eat a healthy diet that includes an abundance of vitamins and minerals to help your body heal.
- Stop smoking several weeks before treatment.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages during the initial recovery period.
- Limit sodium intake to reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.