Excessive weight loss, pregnancy, and aging can all contribute to excess skin around the abdominal area. Individuals who desire a firmer, more youthful figure can benefit from tummy tuck surgery at our Kansas City, MO, practice. During this procedure, Dr. Madhukar G. Chhatre will carefully create incisions in order to tighten abdominal muscles, remove excess skin, and eliminate stretch marks. This procedure can be performed in Dr. Chhatre’s on-site accredited surgical center and typically takes several hours to complete.request an appointment
Preparing For Your Surgery
Before undergoing a tummy tuck, there are certain steps that can be taken to ensure a comfortable and successful recovery. Following these general guidelines can help support the body’s natural healing processes:
- Eat a healthy diet: Proper nutrition promotes healthy immune function. Because protein plays an important role in the healing process, patients should eat a diet high in lean proteins, including fish, chicken, eggs, cheese, and yogurt. Vitamin-rich foods, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, can boost overall health. In addition, proper dietary habits can help you maintain your results after treatment.
- Begin an exercise routine: When you work out, it boosts your metabolism and increases your muscle mass. This is helpful for a faster recovery. Exercise also helps prevent weight gain, which could hinder the results of your tummy tuck surgery.
- Stop smoking: Tobacco use hampers the body’s natural healing ability by constricting blood vessels and reducing the flow of oxygen. As a result, smokers are much more likely to experience post-operative complications and a slower recovery. Individuals undergoing tummy tuck surgery should stop smoking at least two weeks prior to their procedure, although we strongly encourage patients to kick the habit altogether.
- Discuss all medications and supplements with your surgeon: Some drugs can increase the risk for complications, including blood clots. Therefore, be sure to inform Dr. Chhatre of any medications, vitamins, or nutritional supplements you are currently taking. Additionally, patients should discontinue all aspirin-containing medications for at least five days before their procedure, as these can increase the risk for bleeding.
Dr. Chhatre performs tummy tuck surgery in our accredited on-site surgical center for your convenience and safety.
What To Expect During The Procedure
It is important to have a full understanding of the treatment process before undergoing any surgery. A full abdominoplasty involves:
- Anesthesia: Before beginning your procedure, Dr. Chhatre will administer anesthesia to keep you relaxed and comfortable during your treatment. In most cases, tummy tuck surgery is performed under general anesthesia. This ensures that the abdominal muscles remain completely relaxed during the procedure.
- Creating the incisions: A full tummy tuck requires one incision along the abdomen, from one hip bone to the other. Dr. Chhatre will strategically place the incision to minimize post-surgical scarring. It is important to understand that tummy tuck scars will never fade completely, but they can be hidden easily beneath underwear or swimwear.
- Navel reattachment and sculpting: In most cases, the navel will need to be repositioned for a natural-looking result. Depending on your anatomy, Dr. Chhatre may simply change the position of your existing navel, or he may remove it and sculpt a new one.
- Tightening of the muscles: As time goes on, the abdominal muscles can lose laxity. During tummy tuck surgery, the underlying muscles can be tightened and repositioned for a more toned appearance. Liposuction may also be used to eliminate pockets of fat.
- Skin removal: Next, Dr. Chhatre stretches the remaining skin downward and trims away the excess.
- Eliminating stretch marks: Depending on the location of your incision, stretch marks are often reduced or altogether eliminated during tummy tuck surgery.
- Closing the incisions: Finally, the remaining skin is repositioned and the incision is closed with stitches. A surgical drain will also be placed in the incision site to prevent fluid buildup and reduce inflammation.
In general, most patients can return to work after two weeks. However, recovery may take longer if the procedure was more extensive. It is important to avoid strenuous activities until cleared by Dr. Chhatre. However, we encourage patients to walk as soon as possible to promote healing and prevent the formation of blood clots.
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Surgery
If you desire a flatter, firmer, more contoured abdomen, a tummy tuck could be an option for you. Dr. Chhatre offers both traditional and mini tummy tucks, allowing him to tailor treatment to suit your needs. Call our office at (816) 347-0026 or contact us online anytime to learn more about your options.